On the road to publishing I thought I’d share some of the events undertaken.
- Research: On average an author selling ebooks via Amazon earns $300 (gross).
- Research: In Australia there were 300,000+ self-published titles last year.
- Research: “If money is what’s going to make self-publishing worthwhile for you: abort, abort now.” – Steven Lewis.
- Research: “More than half of self-published authors are the ‘kamikaze pilots of literature’ who don’t want to make money.” – @Rule17
- Opinion: Money is not everything but food does cost money.
- Research: I asked the Bendigo Writers Council, my closest Writers Victoria sanctioned writer’s group, for advice on local publishers, copy editors and self-publishers. They told me to go to Bart n Print and use their “new machine”. That’s all. No other advice. I shouldn’t have expected more. To me, they aim low and exclude others. I hate them.
- Interview: My three editing friends, who refused payment, have admitted to not having read any of The Wine and Spirit Travel Diary yet. When people ask me to do things I act. Though I do get told my standards are too high.
- Opinion: You have to pay to get things done.
- Design: First cover ideas can be seen in the picture boxes. My skill at computer drawing can be seen via this link to the story Monkey See Monkey Do Do: https://bucketofwork.wordpress.com/2015/03/22/monkey-see-monkey-do-do/
- Opinion: I don’t know why I keep trying. Optimism I guess. Feels ironic.
- Decision: With or with out help I’m sending WSTD to publishers next week. I don’t actually want to all this by myself.